Friday, February 8, 2008

Lunch Box Series : LBS#24

During pregnancy it always seem like you are stuffing yourself with lot of vegetables and fruits. It seems like a never ending fleet! Though I took off from my work almost 2 months before due, I was cooking till the last few weeks. And utterly enjoying the same. I did the most complicated dishes and which naturally consumed more than excepted hours slogging over the stove. I wish I had this blog or the idea to take pictures of those dishes. I was convincing myself to prepare all those dishes once again, though albeit being delicious, seems quite impossible. Amma used to scold me for exerting myself and hubby dear declared he would prefer eat out, if I am going to indulge myself in such practice.

Ah, there is a restaurant near by, which serves a dish called "Aloo Punjabi". I have been enjoying this dish over nearly 9 years now. My previous office was close to this place and every now and then, we used to have lunch at that place and I always used to order this dish. You won't believe, but it's a paneer dish. Big square cubes of paneer covered with potato layer and deep fried and served as a gravy. Yummy, thinking of that makes me want to have it again. Well I knew by looking at it how it was prepared but the gravy tasted different not like the paneer butter masala you would get. Of course they had another dish with this name. So during my stay at home, my wish was to prepare this dish. And I did, though I was extremely tried after my cooking. But it's been over a year but the thought seems quite daunting. Hubby says, if all you wish to eat this, you can just order instead of going through so much work. But nothing like us preparing it ourselves right.

Today's lunch box is not about it in anyway, but about Radish poriyal which Amma made for me during my pregnancy. I used to prepare some Veg curry for lunch and to top it, Amma used to make at least two for me. So in the end I used to end up eating at least three different vegetables during lunch just as fry. I used to feel so stuffed with just vegetables, that it felt so hard. But this poriyal stands out in memory. So when I was in confusion to finalize what to make as fry, hubby reminded me of that poriyal we had some months back.

Today's Lunch Box had

Chow Chow Kootu
Mullangi/ Radish Poriyal
Pepper Cumin Rasam
Moong sprouts
Curd Rice


Mullangi/ Radish Poriyal

Radish/ Mullangi - 250 gms
Yellow Moong dal - 1 handful
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Seasoning
Mustard seeds + urud Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves
Red chilli - 2 nos
Grated coconut - 1 tbsp


Method to prepare:

Clean the Radish and chop very finely. Pressure cook with Moong dal for 1 whistle or till its cooked.

Heat a pan with oil, splutter the mustard, curry, and red chilli. Then add the cooked radish with dal. Saute well and add salt.

Cover and simmer for 5 mins. Finally garnish with grated coconut.

You can use just coconut with the dal or otherwise too. But I personally know all these make this radish poriyal one yummy dish.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


17 comments :

Latha said...

This is not fair, Valli:) you made me too drool just reading about that punjabi dish and haven't given that recipe... buhoooo.

Raaga said...

I've never had radish poriyal... will try!

Your blog has finally opened for me after months!!

Asha said...

Sri, every time I see your lunch box, I want to find a job for myself and go to work with those Lunch goodies!:D
YUMMY!!! Have a great weekend.I will see you on Monday!:)

Nanditha Prabhu said...

I thought you were about to write on the punjabi dish...
have never tried radish poriyal before... some how i always felt an aversion for radishes... but looks like i will give it a try.

Reshma said...

That is some meal! I can only dream of such abundant lunches!

AnuZi said...

yummy...looks and sounds delicious!!

Rajitha said...

valli..what a delicious spread!!..and yeah..what was all that talk about panner-alu...then getting all healthy on me!! :)

satya said...

That is a simple and healthy lunch box Srivalli.Thank you for sharing.

Srivalli said...

Latha, hhaah...I just didn't' think about it...sure will prepare that some day soon and post it...

Raaga, good..it is yum...oh not sure what the problem is...did you check in firefox?

Asha, you are so sweet..I read your comment have been laughing for so long!...so nice of you..sure will catch on monday..

Nanditha, sorry for the confusion...those were just my passing thoughts..will try to post on that...sure try this way you will surely love it..

Reshma, thank you..thanks for dropping by!

Anu, thank you

Rajitha, hhaha..that gives a good appetite right

satya, glad you liked it!

Vcuisine said...

Nice comfort spread Valli. Looks like i missed out many goodies. Viji

Nithu said...

Reminds me of my school days. Looks delicious...

Srivalli said...

Viji, thanks for visiting them all..

Nithu, welcome to my blog...glad this brought back memories!

Jayashree said...

I missed quite a few of your posts...was away travelling over the last few days...am curious, which restaurant is that? The aloo dish sounds like something I'd love to have....

Superchef said...

reminds me of my lunch boxes to school or work!! :( :)

Srivalli said...

Jayashree, ehmm...do check them on when you have time...this is sree bhavan in Nungambakkam...

Manju, glad it did!

Siva said...

Ma'm,
Being a bachelor @ overseas, I have been through lot of cooking sites in the past 7 months. This is the first time I am feeling my preparation (radish poriyal) tastes like my mom's. Simple yet so yummy and reminiscent.

Your blog is definitely one I will visit often now :). Thanks a lot.

Very nice photo, too :)

Srivalli said...

Siva Thank you for the feedback. I am so glad you found this same taste as your home, that made me so happy!..thank you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...