Thursday, January 10, 2008

Spicy Peas n Potato Kurma

Winter season is when we get all fresh Peas and Fresh Anapakayallu or Mocha (Hyacinth Beans). I completely forgot about this and almost a month has passed without us cooking our most favorite dish of all. I have addressed this by buying as much as we could eat in a week. The next couple of weeks, I will be cooking only this curry for dosa. Having said this, peas is another legume that we consume a lot. As I have already said, Athamma is so fond of using peas in most of our cooking. But we always end up using the dried ones. Knowing that she loves fresh peas, I remembered this during our visit to parents and had the help get fresh peas. We planned to prepare Mutter paneer but fresh paneer was not available. And hubby dear likes it better when we make it south Indian style.

The unshelled peas was lying around for the whole day, and finally the twins got hold of them. The mess they did with this, my god. I finally had to search so many places to gather all of them in the end. Most of the bulk was found in the water bottle containers. They had tried to tilt it down, which resulted in the peas being soaked in water. So before the peas could disappear, I thought I should shell them out. I got about 2 cups of them. But Kurma with just Peas was not very appealing, so added few potatoes to make it complete!

Ingredients Needed:

Fresh Peas (if you live that parts of the world where fresh is not available, then dry ones please!) - 2 cups
Potatoes - 2 small
Onion -2 medium
Tomatoes - 4 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Coconut - 4 tbsp
Cashew Nuts - 5 whole nos
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish



Method to prepare:

Boil the peas and potatoes for 1 whistle in a pressure cooker. Once its cooled, cube potatoes into medium size pieces.

Chop Onions and tomatoes roughly and make a paste separately. Make a smooth paste of coconut and cashew nuts together.

Heat Oil in a pan, add the onion paste. Fry till its little brownish. Then add the ginger garlic paste and sauté well, till its nicely blended.

Then add the tomatoe puree, fry well for 2 mins. Then add all the powders and simmer for 5 mins. Add the cooked peas and potatoes at this stage. Saute well for 2 mins.

Finally add the coconut-cashew paste. Add required water. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 mins with lid covered.

Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Note:
This kurma is quite spicy as we added 1 tsp of garam masala and ginger garlic paste. Reduce it for milder kurma.

This goes excellent with chappatis and Ghee rice.

This is my entry for Susan's Legume Love affair! Thanks for hosting such a wonderful event on legumes Susan!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


24 comments :

Susan said...

I am up very early this morning and have not had my breakfast yet. Would that I could tuck into this rich and flavorful gravy right now.

Thank you, Srivalli, for your wonderful recipe!

Priya said...

Dear Srivalli,

Thanks for this great recipe. I was looking forward to your new recipe since morning.

Take good care. Hope your children are doing fine.

God Bless !!

Priya Arun

Srivalli said...

Susan, Thats so nice of you. Thanks for hosting the lovely event!

Padmaja said...

Valli Kurma looks so delicious, love that colour. I too make something similar but avoid cashewnuts(too many calories.
Looks too good

Kamini said...

oooh that kurma looks very nice... Ready with the ingredients so let me know the addresses...Thanks and sorry...

Asha said...

Sri, I almost hate for getting all those fresh beans and peas there!:D
Spicy Kurma sounds great, I will try with my "dry and soaked" beans!!:)

sunita said...

Sri, that's a lovely looking kurma...thanks for sharing.

Padma said...

This looks so yummy and spicy Srivalli, I would love having that with roti's

Happy cook said...

Delicious pea potato kurma

shriya said...

Nice Recipe.I love that color looks delicious.

Rajitha said...

cho chweet of you twins...wanting to topple things over..i could not help simling thru the whole post..and the kurma looks delicious as always..

Seema said...

Nice Kurma....Fresh peas is a dream for us!! We have frozen or dried ones only.

bhags said...

the pea potato kurma looks delish with tht beautiful color

Mansi Desai said...

Looks great Srivalli:) we make this at least once a week as its so easy and convenient:)

btw, hope you can send something in for my event too, b'coz archived posts are allowed:)

Dhivya said...

this is my all time favourite

Venkatesh Iyer said...

Thanks for your recipe. I would really love tasting this.

Suganya said...

Dec/Jan is the time for fresh peas and good cauliflower in India. I used to eagerly wait for them (else they are very pricey) and make as much gravies as possible. Now since they are available year round here, that magic is lost. Gravy looks rich :)

Srivalli said...

Priya, Thanks for the comments. Its nice to know somebody is actually looking forward to mine...Yes kids are doing fine, thank you!..

Padmaja, great to know..once in a while cashewnuts should be ok right

Kamini, wow..thats great to know...mention not..I am feeling sorry for pestering you so long!

Asha, hahha...thats nice to know!...do try with that..it will taste good anyways!

sunita, thank you ..

Padma, yeah with those it goes great!

Happy cook, thank you!

shriya, nice of you..thanks!

Rajitha, thanks for your comments...I look fwd to your comments which are always on the pre recipe post...which makes me feel good

Seema, oh bad..but then with dried it tastes equal good

bhags, thank you

Mansi, thanks...sure will try to think of something

Dhivya, thank you!

Venkatesh, you are welcome

Suganya, yeah these days it actually doesn't matter as we too get it in those super markets in other seasons too...but now they are not so expensive

Jayashree said...

The market is flooded with these green peas now, isn't it??? I've bought lots...and towards the end of the season Iam even planning to freeze some so I can enjoy fresh peas whenever i want to.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Anything with potato I like it very much and this korma looks mouthwatering Srivalli:)

Srivalli said...

Jayashree Oh thats a good idea..My mom used to do that...I just forgot about it!..thanks for reminding me.

Rajeswari, ehmm..thats nice to know!..thanks

Anonymous said...

hii,Iam a big fan of your blogspot.In the above recipe you didnt mention when we should add the potatoes and green peas.

Srivalli said...

AnonOops! looks like it got messed up somehow..added the most important in the recipe..And Anon, would be nice to know the name!

Anonymous said...

Wow awesome bookmarked recipe
Please give the onion and tomotto in grams

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...