Friday, January 11, 2008

Lunch Box Series : LBS#21

Its been nearly 3 weeks since I got back to this series. Basically its because I found I wasn't doing anything other than Sambar with the same set of vegetables along with dry curries with the same set of vegetables or dals with fries with the same few vegetables... *yawn*. I wonder why its become so monotonous! It wasn't like this some months back. Then I used to make Sambar only twice a week for lunch, now its almost like every other day we are having it. I wonder what I was cooking on the other days! I think its high time I plan my menus as I used to do. But god kiddos have become more naughty! Went home last evening, to see both of them have not eaten their evening meal. I believe both refused and Athamma was in ends of her thither to make them eat. Elder one wanted me to carry him, I said please atleast give me time to wash my hands. He shook his head to say no no. I convinced the nanny to take him out. The younger one was running around, so took the bowl to him and he waves his hand to say he doesn't want! My younger one is so smart. He understands every word we say. The other day after switching off the lights, I was asking Konda to get me a pillow, suddenly I was showered with pillows. When I saw who it was, I really so surprised. Chinnu got up to get two pillows and threw on me. Ask for one, you get many! Amma was trying to reach us and the phone I believe was going on ringing without any answer. She was wondering what happened. Well nothing, her two little cubs found the telephone instrument very appealing, so its they plaything now!

So unconsciously before leaving for my vacation, I posted something else on Friday. Only on thinking back I realised that I was supposed to post LBS!. Well visiting my parents ensured I have a change in this series. Dad doesn't like rice to be packed for lunch. Infact his dabba is so small, more like my daughter's. Everyday whatever Amma sends, he will come back home and complain that she had packed him more. So finally she decided that chappatis are the best for him. He will not have much excuse to say it was too much. Since few years its been chappatis for him with Subjis. Since I was cooking this time, wanted to make something dramatic, but Amma decided on a much simpler dish and warned me that if I am to send more, then I will get properly back in the evening!

So, here comes a change to this series in form of chappatis, showcasing my Dad's lunchbox with just rotis along with subjis. No rasam or curd rice for him, he would prefer to spend that extra time looking after his patients!

Today's Lunch Box had

Mixed Vegetable Subji
Chappatis
Mixed Vegetable Subji

Ingredients Needed:

Mixed vegetables - 2 cups (I used Carrots, Beans, Peas, Cauliflower)
Onion - 1 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Water - 1/4 cup
Oil - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish


Method to prepare:

Cut all the vegetables to 1 inch size. Clean the cauliflower and split into florets. Soak in warm water along with salt.

Drain the water from cauliflower and pressure cook all the vegetables for 1 whistle.

Chop the onions and tomatoes. If you have roasted cumin seeds, its fine. Else dry roast the cumin and powder it when its cool.

Heat a pan with oil. Add onions and fry till its brown. Then add in tomatoes. Cook till its soft and mashy. Add chilli pw, coriander pw and turmeric pw along with salt. Cook for 2 mins.

Once done add in the cooked vergetables. Cook on high and sprinkle the roasted cumin and garam masala. Add little water to make it soft and all the masalas to get mixed. Finally add the coriander leaves.

Serve with chappatis.

Note: The roasted cumin powder is something thats always ready. But fresh powder adds more flavour!
This can be sukhi or dry curry too, but by afternoon it might be little hard to eat, so little water is added.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


15 comments :

Priya said...

Dear Srivalli,

I really enjoy reading your posts so much that I am also considering creating a blog of my own so that I can also post my recipes.

In the past few days, I have learnt so many recipes from the various blogs i have visited. Even though I have been cooking for the past 4 years since i got married, i feel i still have a lot to learn.

Thanks a lot for your lovely posts. As i said y'day, I really look forward to your recipes and to read about ur kids antics :)

Take good care,

Priya Arun

Srivalli said...

That will be so great Priya...I would love to check out your recipes...and thanks for reading mine without fail

Coffee & Vanilla said...

I have to start making lunch for my son to school as well, thank you for an idea!...

Kajal said...

I daily made roti for my lunch box with different curries. I will try your curry in this week. :)

Asha said...

Sri honey, love the lunch as always, you are a great cook!:)
This will be last comment in your blog (except I will come and greet you around the festivals).
I am making major changes in the way I blog. I will still post but will not be visiting any blogs. I needto get fit and need to make some time for myself.I will explain how and why in my next post. Keep in touch thru' email.I will send dishes for your events of course!:)

kamala said...

I am looking for various types
of side dishes for Rotis.urs contains all veg.so nutritious.I should try this.Thanks for it

Siri said...

LBS Series - wait a worth, yummy, healthy, colorful, just awesome..

the simple bajji is so delicious Srivalli.. feeling hungry again.. wish I cud taste that with the chapatis or puris..:))

~ Siri

shriya said...

It is usually a challenge to make lunch for kids that they will enjoy as well eat healthy. There are so many blogs with variety of recipes but I like your theme of lunch box recipes.This is incredible that you are in post 21 in this series.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Latha said...

Looks delicious Srivalli!

Namratha said...

Love the sabji, looks so inviting and lip smacking!! :)

Rajitha said...

valli...my dad is the same..he eats so less..i used to tell my mom..that i should be eating like him..i would lose weight ;)..but again..what me me smile were ur two babies..i found ur little one getting the pillow so so cute..i was just imagining it :)...take care girl

musical said...

Simple meal, but looks very gorgeous! Love your lunch box series, dear! Have a lovely weekend :).

satya said...

Simple and filling meal.Ideal for lunch box.I have made your curry leaves chutney and it came out well.Thank you for sharing Srivalli.Have a nice weekend.

Srivalli said...

Coffee, glad you liked this...try and let me know!

Kajal, yeah I know..it must be so good

Asha, Thanks for the nice comments!...oh I will be missing you so much..but I understand...take care and see you around!

kamala, thanks...yeah this is quite easy to make too!

Siri, glad you like them!...

shriya, yeah and it gets tough to plan too...so this is a nice way for myself to plan too...thanks for the encouragement...

Latha, thank you!

Namratha, yeah it is indeed...very satisfactory meal..thank you!

Rajitha, glad I have some company!...thanks for reading it and enjoying...

musical, thank you...glad somebody is there for this series!

satya, Yes its easy to prepare and easy to eat too!..thanks for the feedback..you are welcome!

Coffee & Vanilla said...

Srivalli,
Thank you for your entry.... it looks very good, I would eat it for lunch myself... ;)

I packed salt fish muffins today for lunch for my son.

Margot

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...