Rajma Masala with Aloo!

Things have been hectic this side of the world and that's kept me away from posting. December has always been a hectic month in various contexts. This time round, with Athamma down with high sugar and we have handful to manage, I somehow didn't feel like updating anything. Its like I miss something if I don't post something everyday but I haven't cooked anything new, so more the reason for the lull. I am also excited that we are off to visit my parents next week. And the fact that its raining cats and dogs our place. Its so much fun getting drenched back home. I love getting drenched in rain. Its so soothing and wonderful. Its like the sky is blessing you with so much shower, shower of rain and wonder! I would've happily missed today too, except I kept remembering I will be missing few events this month...

Didn't want to miss this post, as I had planned for this long back. Yes Grindless Gravies has gone through lot of changes, hopefully Sra won't say no for this, since I haven't checked recently for any updates in the rules! I first thought of sending her my Dal Makhani, but she said she wanted something new. So new she gets! I have always loved curries with rajma. Though Amma had prepared with this few times, I started liking it more when I first tasted this at my friend's place during college. She is gujju and her mother used make great gujarathi dishes. I must've verified the recipe with her mom so many times. And yes we prepared it quite frequently after that. Though I must say as with most recipes, we change and adapt and make it to ring with our mark! I am not sure if this curry resembles anything like my friend's mother's. But this is something we like very much.

Ingredients Needed

Rajma - 1/2 cup
Potatoes - 2 medium
Onions - 2 medium
Tomatoes - 3 medium
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Garlic - 4 pods crushed or finely chopped
Ginger - 1 " juliennes
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1"
Bay leaf - 1
Oil - 2 tsp
Water as required
Method to prepare:

Soak Rajma overnight. In a pressure cooker, take Rajma, Cloves, cinnamon, garlic, bay leaf, turmeric and little salt, Add enough water and put for 4 whistles. Rajma for me never gets cooked properly, so I always put it for 5 whistles. Once the pressure is off, add potatoes and cook for another whistle.

Meanwhile, chop onions tomatoes very fine. Heat a kadai with oil. Once its hot, add the crushed garlic. fry well. Then add finely chopped onions and sauté till its golden brown.

Then add tomatoes and all the powders and salt. Cook on high flame for 2 mins, then simmer for 5 mins. Once the oil comes out, add the cooked rajma along with Potatoes. Retain 2 tbsp of rajma along with some potatoes.

Using a lentil masher, mash the rajma and potatoes. Add this to the gravy. Mix well and add required water. Cook on high flame for 5 mins and simmer for 10 mins. It should become quite thick, else cook for somemore time.

Garnish with chopped onion rings, green chillies. Off all my food pictures, I feel this is the best I could take! Phew thats something! Can you imagine babies going around clicking beautiful pictures! I got so J!..:D

Note: For the Grindless gravies, we are not supposed to use any electric app for grinding, so I choked the garlic and crushed it. You can boil the rajma to death, so that you can a thick gravy and cooked rajmas.

Sra said you can put this on cooking and forget it and complete all your chores. Well I did just that, so much to T, that when hubby dear asked whats for dinner, I didn't even remember that Rajma was cooking!

Enjoy and have f u n hols!

Will be back with my Cartoons, so be sure to check them out!

Labels: , , ,