Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Powder from Heaven ~ and a guess!

This is what I always thought when I think of the podi that Amma makes. It used to be the object of many childhood dreams. When somebody used to ask me what my favorite food was, I used to think podi annam! I remember during my high school, when coming back from school, Amma used to make evening tiffens. Instead I used to ask her to give me podi annam. It tastes great with both hot rice and cold rice, with chappati or idly or dosa. You name it, I used to like it with that!. That used to be my obsession with this podi, which has been my household dish since I can remember. There was nothing more interesting to me than idlies with podi smeared. It used to taste so wonderful. When I carry this to school, I used to longingly wait for the lunch break to come, so that I can eat it. I especially love the way Idli tastes when you crumble it really well, that it becomes like upma, mix it with ghee and this podi. It just tastes yummy!. This is a love affair that began during childhood and continues to go strong!

Most wonderful thing that can happen to me is the fact that my daughter likes it too. There is nothing more fantastic and heart warming than the fact that your child likes your favorite stuff. At parents place, when Amma makes non-veg, I used to tell her not to bother about my food, as I would love to eat podi annam. This continues to be so, at my place too. Amma always makes this for us but this time we expired it much sooner than we thought. Then Athamma made something similer but that had lot of kopra, so didn't stay for long.

So when Linda said its going to be Tuvar Dal or Toor Dal for JFI this month, I couldn't think of a better one to contribute. Called up Amma and got the proportion correct and prepared especially for Linda.

Linda, hope you like this!

So here my Amma's Podi

Toor Dal - 1 cup (150 gms)
Bengal Gram - 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - 12 to 15 long
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Asofitida / Hing - a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method to prepare

Heat a Kadai with little oil. Roast the Toor dal till nice aroma comes out. Make sure it doesnt get brown. You need to keep stirring. Remove to a plate, then add Bengal Gram. Once its fried well, remove.

Add some more oil and roast chillies. Remove and let it cool.

Selecting the correct coconut is important. This can be made with coconut thats really aged or muthirina tenkai as we say in telugu. It should not be a tender one. Greate the coconut to get half cup. Add oil and saute well along with hing and salt. Remove and let it cool

Any variety of coconut can be used, only thing to be considered is how long you want to store this. Use less if you want to store this for a long period. Copra becomes very oily when used, so use little. Plain dried dessicated coconut also can be used, but not the sweeten variety. I heard you get sweet dessicated coconut flakes.

Once all the ingredients are cooled, grind them in mixie to a fine powder. The texture can be adjusted as per taste. It tastes good both fine or little coarse.

More coconut can be added if its not going to be stored for long. Once the powder is ready, store it in an air tight container. This can stay fresh for 4 to 6 months.

Amma's magic Podi goes to Linda for JFI: Toor Dal.

Now for a guess game. Name the plant and what is yielded. Answer will be posted tomorrow.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


21 comments :

satya said...

This podi indeed must be from heaven Srivalli,my family loves it.This and avakayi are real saviors in emergencies.But, who needs emergencies to savour them?

Latha Narasimhan said...

The plant yeilds vendaikai!
I too love the paruppu podi! :)

Latha Narasimhan said...

No not vendakai, Green chillies! :D

Padmaja said...

Valli!! Podi annam is my favourite too,. i love to have it with hot rice and ghee, its indeed heavenly!!
I get my podis from home but i guess your mom's magic podi will make its way to my kitchen!!
Guessing game, hey i am so bad at it, shall I say that plant yields mustard seeds!!

Sia said...

ur desrciption of podi-anna is enough for me to try it sri.
and i think it is bhindi plant.

Kamini said...

Podi with hot rice and ghee is my idea of a heavenly meal, too. So, we don't use copra for this recipe? How about plain dried (dessicated) coconut? Can we not use fresh coconut? Here in the States we get fresh frozen coconut, copra and dried coconut. Which one do you suggest we use?
I am a botanical cipher, so I won't bother guessing and making a fool of myself!!
Thanks!
Kamini

Happy cook said...

Love the podi. But in kerala we don't use it that much. My brother in law is fromAndhra and his mom too make them and they are delicious.
Well i too agree with latha it is vandaka plant.

Seema said...

Love Parrupu podi.Its a all time favourite & a help on those extra lazy days where i hate to cook!!! The plant - no idea!:-(

Seema said...

That Powder indeed must taste heavenly. I too love it smeared on idlis with little ghee on top. Ammas recipes never go wrong right?

bindiya said...

Sri this is podi new to me, but since you praise it so much will definitely try it soon.

Mallika said...

This sounds lovely Srivalli. Is it just like a powder you have on the side? And what's avakayi?

bee said...

can we use dry dessicated coconut for this?

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Great entry with paruppu podi srivalli!!!
I hav no Idea about the plant:(

Srivalli said...

satya, yeah very true...looks like you are visiting after a long time?..

Lathamma, check the next post!

Padmaja, great...thanks..try this and you will love it...nooo...though I have another picture of that plant too

Sia, really thats the way I feel too..its just great!..try and let me know

Kamini, great to know...Coconut can be any variety. Just that fresh coconut roasted will not have that oily taste

Happy cook, yeah its great to taste...no it is not..check the next post

Seema, thank you

bindiya, thank you...you must try this and taste the heaven!

Mallika, yeah its always at home...Avakayi is Mango pickle..Check this recipe
http://cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/2007/09/aavakai-uragaya-andhra-special.html

bee, sure, you can use less of it and roast in oil before adding to powder

Rajesware, thank you!

Siri said...

Indeed 'KandiPodi' is a Powder Straight from Heaven Sri, hot rice with some podi and ghee, - I am in clouds already..:)) Thanks for the recipe..
Guess, I am too late to play ur guess game!..:))

- Siri

Roopa said...

that pudi looks yum and delicious what a lovely color i love it with iddils and dosas :)

Linda said...

Hi Srivalli,

I really enjoyed reading your post and the lovely way you presented the story of your favorite dish! Thank you for sharing this special family recipe for JFI-Toor Dal :)

Srivalli said...

Siri..hhaha..good...come back and make some for s and get back to heaven!

Roopa, thank you...yes it does have a great colour...thats half attractive!

Linda, thank you for appreciating. This is indeed very special to me!...thanks for hosting

Namratha said...

Pudi annam is my fav too, but haven't tried this podi, will surely make this soon...thanks for the recipe

Pavitra Venkat said...

hey srivalli, thats exactly the way i love to eat my idly. crumble it, add a dash of idly powder with oil or ghee...tastes heavenly :D i eat it this way mostly in the evening when a couple of idlies are left over from morning's :)

malini said...

nice pudi, and my favourit.nice picture also. i guess the picture: tur dal plant is it right? long before we planted turdal. thanks for the pudi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...