Baby Potatoes simmering in a gravy ~ Dum Aloo

What's in a name we may say, but at times it becomes very maddening when you get to the heart of the things. Dum Aloo or Aloo Dum is one such thing. Even now I don't really know what separates these day or how and why two different names. It was the time during my first crush on North Indian cuisine, that I began to search for this recipe. At one point I had so many Dum Aloos and Aloo Dums. Each in a different proportions! But all said and done, nobody actually said what makes it different. I have stopped searching for reasons. I can understand different versions of Sambar but we don't call it Barsam right? Well this is what I felt too. The many different recipes on hand, called for different items. In an age when you can do anything given the mood, you can expect to try out so. But finding time to even take a proper breath becomes a task, you really can't think of searching for the many varied things a recipe might call for right. That's why I chose the easiest of the lot. Came out exceedingly well, I was even trilled that my daughter wanted to have this the next day and took a promise that I will prepare it again the same week. It was quite spicy but Konda has a thing. The dishes that she likes, can be the spiciest food you have ever prepared, yet she will like and eat. Other times, even if its mildly spicy, she will not even touch. This recipe is something I prepared some years back, so know it tastes good. I also have so many variations, not really sure how they would taste but couldn't try as it called for elaborate process. This is quite simple and easy and it tasted great!


Ingredients Needed:

Baby potatoes - 250 gms
Onions - 2 medium
Green Chillies - 2
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Tomatoes - 3 medium
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Amchur powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Asafetida a pinch
Clove - 1
Cinnamon - 1"
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - for garnish
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Method to prepare:

Clean and boil potatoes till they are soft. Peel and keep it aside.

Make a paste of Onions, green chillies and garlic and ginger. Keep aside

Make a paste of tomatoes with chili pow, amchur pw and turmeric pw.

Heat a kadai with Oil. Add Bay leaves, cumin and Asafetida. Then add Onion paste and fry well.

Then add Tomato paste and cook in sim for 5 mins. Adjust the salt.

Once the oil starts coming out, add the boiled potatoes. Stir well and sim for 15 mins till the gravy thickens.

Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve.

This was so typically different from other gravies that we prepare. My daughter was so taken in by this that she asked for it again, even though it was quite spicy. Adjust the spiciness based on your preference.

Labels: , ,