Saturday, November 24, 2007

ah..Aloo with mutter makes a masala??

Tantalizing aroma was sneaking out of the hot box that was laid on the table. When I peeped in, saw some rich gravy with big chunks of potatoes swaying with peas in a wonderful melody. It was Aloo Mutter Masala, served with Appam. I have never had appam with anything other than my Tomato kurma or Stew or plain sweeten coconut milk. This was a nice change from the regular. I couldn't wait to try this at home.

And just for this, made appam for the Sunday breakfast last week. But completely forgot to soak the dried peas. I was determined that I will prepare it before I could forget the recipe, though its a very simple one with, not that many ingredients called for. So boiled water and soaked the peas in it for half an hour. Then pressure cooked it for 5 whistles. I think it had some semblance of cooked peas. But I would've preferred the overnight soaked one. Got all the things ready and prepared it in flat 15 mins. I was all eager to serve this to hubby dear. Of course for konda I had to prepare coconut milk. She is yet to get herself eat spicy gravies. I just love the way her face changes when I serve her a plate of appam with coconut milk. She declares she will eat two appams. I will all be soared with happiness, only to know she will not be able to complete even the one I serve her. She will eat away all the outer crispy ones and leave the middle thick appam for me. I don't mind.

Now coming back to the Aloo Mutter Masala, when I served finally I couldn't anybody jumping about with excitement that they had the best combi in ages. Of course, the gravy was too good. Only he felt it didn't go well with Appam. He has his well defined taste. Nothing can change it, not even a gravy that was so delicious. So this will next time be only served with Rotis or Pooris. I am going to talk about Aloo Mutter Masala only, Appam will wait for RCI Kerala to come..:D



Soaking time for Peas: Overnight or 6 hrs
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Serves - 4

Ingredients Needed:

Potatoes - 250 gms
Dried Peas/ Fresh Peas
Onions - 3 medium
Tomatoes - 1 & 1/2 medium (Proportion of Onion to Tomato is 750 gms of Onion to 500 gms of Tomato)
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Clove - 2
Cinnamon - 1"
Cardamom - 1
Chilly powder -1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves - for garnish


Method to prepare

Pressure peas for 3 whistles if its soaked overnight. Finally add cubed potatoes to the peas and cook for another whistle.

Chop Onions roughly and grind to fine paste. Blanch Tomatoes and make a puree.

Heat a kadia with oil. Add whole spices. You can also use the same cooker after removing the boiled peas and potatoes.

Fry the onion paste along with ginger garlic paste. Sauté well to ensure it doesn't burn.

Then add tomatoes puree. Add chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Check spice and add more if you need.

Cook in sim for 5 mins, till its cooked well. Then add the cooked potatoes and peas. Mix well and add coriander.

Let it cook for 10 mins or till gravy thickens.

Serve with Rotis or Pooris. If you want to try differently try with Appam or even Dosa, it tasted great!

Have a great weekend!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


12 comments :

sunita said...

This used to be a regular at my parents...we, of course, had it with rotis and poories...called it 'ghugni'.

easycrafts said...

Potatoes and paneer in any gravy tastes great...nice colour of your gravy

Happy cook said...

I don't remeber the last time i had appom.
Allo mutter looks delicious.
They way u talked about the dish made my mouth watter i was imagining myself taking a piece of appom znd soaking into the curry and popping into my mouth ;-)
Once i forgot to soak the kidneybeans and i cooked them adding soda bicarbonate in the pressure cooker and they were cooked.

kamala said...

This aloo mutter masala is looking great.
kamala

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Looks lovely...I too will try with rotis only ..;D

musical said...

All time favorite! i too love sabzis with appam :).

Siri said...

Such a simple but delicious recipe Srii...:) Aloo mutter masala and appam.. Hmm interesting combo.. will try out next time! The color of the gravy is so rich..:)) Thanks for the recipe dear.

~ Siri

Ashu said...

Very tempting! :) Thanks for the recipe :)

Vcuisine said...

Who can resist this valli. Nice one. Viji

Alapana said...

One of my favorite dishes but yes,i always have this curry with rotis or Poories and this combo is the best,and i add a spoon of curds at the end,just before taking the curry off the stove, Aloo Khorma for me or for any hyderabadi is sure mouthwatering exp:)

Hey,thanks for telling me about the font colors,infact i changed the template itself,i like light colors for my blog:) thanku for visiting.

Suganya said...

Its all one's personal preference. My friend loves to eat any kurma with curd rice. Till this day I cannot seem to grasp that idea.

Srivalli said...

sunita, thats nice to know..

ec, Thank you

Happy cook, thank you!..glad you liked it.

Viji, Ashu, kamala, Rajeswari, musical, Thank you. Glad this is so many's favorite!

Siri, thanks, do try and let me know

Alapana, nice to know, will try next time..my pleasure!

Suganya, ahh...even I can't!..but then each one to their pleasures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...