A Vegetarian Meal!

Its been really long time since I planned to prepare vegetarian meal for a Sunday afternoon. I got the opportunity this Navartri season as folks at home stayed away from meat. So wanted to try Veg dishes and impress hubby dear with something new. I always get this urge whenever I see Viji blogging away on her weekend brunches. Of course I don't have so much patience or even knowledge on so many Veg course to dish out a Vegetarian Meals as she does. But I found my opportunity and tried the best I could. Result was just so nice. Hubby dear confessed that he was so drowsy after eating that he slept through the afternoon, including all other elders at home!

Ok coming to the menu, of course I had few things in mind but had been planning to prepare this type of Sambar for so long that I was so happy that I finally did make it. But as usual when I am preparing anything new I need to confirm with Amma for the measurement. She is always so correct with each one, I am so amazed. She told me exactly how much I should used for how many people. I chose Arachivita Sambar, one I had been planning for so long. I planned to prepare it with just small Onions / Shallot. Then remembered that I had brinjal. Amma said that will be very tasty, so settled for . I was happy that I finally was able to prepare this sambar and everybody at home just loved it. Of course in the hurry, I missed out one major ingredient. But the result was so good that we didn't notice the lack.

Parrupu usili has always been my favorite dish. The last time I prepared for my family was some 2 years back when I had invited everybody home and prepared so much. I didn't without consulting Amma and made it quite spicy. But this time, came out perfectly correct to our taste. I prepared Kesari Bath for Neivedyam which was served as sweet. Hubby dear got in Gulab Jamun and Ice cream for dessert, which made everything so heavy in the end. He said this veg meal turned out more intoxicating than a non-veg one. I was so glad to hear that.


Arachiveta Sambar, Pepper-Cumin Rasam (Melagu Jeeragam Rasam), Beans Parrupu Usili with Plain rice and curds.

I completed everything on time and even had some time left for the photo session, but unfortunately at that moment we had some unexpected guests and I was pressured to take a hurried shots. So in that hurry, forgot to assemble the Kesari Bath for the picture. Athamma said I should include that and take another photo, but I was too exhausted to do anything else after that.

Arachiveta Sambar

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Cuisine : Tamil Nadu

Ingredients Needed:

Tur Dal - 100 gms
Brinjal - 200 - 250 gms.
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Small Onions - 50 gms
Garlic pods - 2
Tamarind - size of a lemon.
Turmeric powder a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
Water as required
Coriander leaves few
Salt as per taste

Ground Masala -

Tur Dal - 1 tbsp
Bengal Gram - 1 tsp
Dhania - 1 tbsp (this is what I forgot)
Urud dal - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 5 long
Fenugreek - 3/4 tsp
Pepper - 10 corns
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Fresh coconut - 50 gms (Kopra or Dried coconut can also be used)

Seasonings
Mustard + Urud + Cumin + Fenugreek - 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Asafetida a pinch

Method to prepare:

Preparatory things first.

Soak tamarind in water. Pressure cook Tur dal with turmeric and 2 drops oil for 3 whistles or till dal is cooked.

To prepare Ground Masala

Heat a Kadai with 1 tsp Oil and roast all the ingredients till you get a nice aroma from it. Take care not to burn any of them. Once cool, grind to a fine powder. I guess normally its ground with water. I didn't ground to a fine powder. Since coconut is there it was quite oily.

Chop onions, tomatoes to fine pieces. Cut brinjal and soak in water so that it doesn't turn black.

Heat a pan with oil and add the seasonings.Once they sputter, add onions, garlic. Once they are fried, add the chopped brinjal. cover with lid, sim and cook for 5 mins or till cooked. Then add tomatoes, cook in sim for few mins.

Extract pulp from tamarind. Add to the pan along with salt and required water. Bring to boil. Then add cooked dal and the ground masala powder.

Add chopped coriander leaves and cook on high till you get a thick consistency.

Beans Parrupu Usili goes very well with Sambar.

Enjoy

The lovely Margot @ Coffee & Vanilla is hosting Vegetarian Awareness Month. I am sending this Vegetarian Meal to their event.

Labels: , , , ,