Nippattu ~ Nippattlu

I am for snacks anytime. I always used to look forward to the festival seasons, for Amma used to prepare many snacks for diwali or other festival days. She used to prepare so many dishes, that we won't know which to complete first. I used to be so obsessed that I used to get up midnight and eat them. That was the fascination those homemade goodies had. But I have never tried making Muruku or other savory items at home. This was the first time I did and yes I remembered all those times that Amma used to make this for us. She feels bad that we are not preparing any of those at home anymore. But then we don't find time nor inclination to stand and toil for hours together next to a stove to prepare all these goodies. This I made in small quantity as an experiment. They turned out good.

Ingredients Needed:

Rice Flour - 2 Cups
Maida - 1/4 Cup
Gram flour - 1/2 Cup
Finely chopped Curry leaves - few
Groundnuts - 2 tbsp
Gram Dal - 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Chili Powder - 2 tsp
Water to knead
Salt to Taste
Oil for deep fry

Method to Prepare:

Mix all the ingredients except water and oil.

Add 2 tsp spoons of hot oil mix well again. Now add water little by little till you get a soft consistency like rotis.

Heat oil in the frying pan

Take lemon size dough and roll it like thick chapati in small size

Once the oil is hot, deep fry in oil under medium heat till golden brown.

Once its cooled, store it in an air tight container for a week, if it stays that long at your place..:)

This goes to the party hosted by Asha for her RCI: Karnataka

Since this is also my favorite snack, sending this to Hima for her event on whats your favorite snack.

Labels: , , ,