Saturday, September 29, 2007

Gongura Pachadi ~ Andhra Special

Well this is what we do when we have excess Red sorrel leaves at hand. Make them as Pachadi or chutney. Andhra is famous for Gongura Pickle or Chutney. This variety is chutney which is a specialty of Athamma who hails from Ananthapuram. I find it so strange that though both the families are from Andhra, there is a vast difference from her cooking to Amma's. Amma's gongura chutney is made in a different way. This variation that I going to write about is also a crowd pleaser and does not stay that long to even test its shelf life. Since the ingredients that go in this anyway shows it may not stay good for long, but I haven't had a chance to test it though. This is one of my Athamma's signature dishes. She is famous for her pachadis/Chutneys and I have been long after her to prepare all the chutneys she normally does. This pachadi is different in the way it uses Ground Nut powder and raw onions. I think the overall effect in the end is what makes the difference adds to the taste.

Cuisine : Andhra
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 10 mins

Ingredients Needed:
Gongura/ Red Sorrel Leaves - 1 cup
Green Chillies - 4
Salt to taste

For Masala
Groundnut/Peanut powder - 2 tbsp
Onions - 1

For seasoning:
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1tsp
Method to prepare:

Boil the leaves along with green chillies. Let it cool, then grind it to a coarse paste.

Mix onions and ground nut powder and grind with Pappu guthi or any hand grinder. It should not become very massy, but should feel the raw onion taste.

Heat oil and sputter mustard and temper on the chutney.

This stays good only for the day. So prepare only small batches. This is one delicious pachadi. The other famous pachadi made with cooked onions, stays over a week.

Enjoy the weekend with spicy pachadi!

Reminder for entries for Microwave Easy cooking themed on Basics. Last date is 30th September. Thanks!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


28 comments :

Apple said...

Srivalli..seems like you are having plenty of gongura now....I want to have some :(

Asha said...

Gongura Pachadi looks yum, never tasted it though!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Love gonkura! Keep some for me!
I have posted the MW basic. will send by tomorrow!

sra said...

This is a really different gongura pachadi - I've never heard of this variation!

musical said...

Ah! More gongura, you really evoke nostlagia, dear :).

starry nights said...

sounds good and easy enough to prepare.have not heard of sorrell leaves.

Rina said...

We hardly get any gongura here in toronto. But will love to make and enjoy this. I use to make this when I was in Chennai and in Andhra

Anonymous said...

Hi
Your gonkura recipe is awesome !
btw, are you from bangalore ?
I used to have a friend from there by your name.

Deepa

Siri said...

Wow Srivalli,Our own Gongura pachadi.. awesome and mouth watery dear..:D

Prajusha said...

sri,
pachadi looks delicious.

click said...

sri, check your e-mail.

- bee

Vcuisine said...

Worth trying Valli. Neat recipe. Viji

Linda said...

Hi Srivalli, this sounds so different with peanuts and greens. When I find gongura again I am going to try. Thanks for sharing :)

Srivalli said...

Apple, yeah we got a bunch half went into pappu and rest to this..

Asha, then you must try this..surely a great one.

Lathamma, thanks...thanks..will check and get the details

sra, yeah me too until Athamma prepared it

musical, my pleasure..:)

starry nights, then you try this

Rina, thats very nice to know

Deepa, welcome to my blog...thanks for the compliment. No I am not from bangalore. do drop in when you have time

Siri, thanks

Prajusha, thank you

bee, did and have replied

Viji, thank you

Linda most welcome, I know you have tried and liked

Kajal said...

This is very easy and delicious dish. I miss your event my dear.:)

Superchef said...

is it the same as gongura chutney...ohh..i soo love that!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gongura pachadi looks good,will try it out!:)
paati

Tee said...

I love gongura! My mom makes chutney too but I don't have the recipe :( Will try out this recipe next time i get gongura leaves.

Sivani said...

Looks good, Srivalli.

Since it is difficult to get gongura here, and expensive when you find it fresh, I like the fact that this is to be made in a small quantity with only a cup of leaves.

The next time I go to the Indian grocery here I will definitely pick up more than I usually do - normally we take just enough for one time gongura pappu.

Padma said...

Wow with peanuts in it, it sure will taste delicious, will try this version soon as I caught hold of some gongura this weekend!

Sivani said...

This looks so good, Srivalli.

Here in the US it is tough to get fresh gongura, and when it is there, it is very expensive. I like that this recipe requires only a cup of leaves.

Next time we go to the Indian grocery, I will pick up enough to make this pachadi - usually we get just enough to make gongura pappu once only.

Thanks so much for posting this recipe.

- Sivani

KayKat said...

I've never made it with raw onions before! I'll just have to troll the indian stores till I find some gongura leaves to try this out :)

Mandira said...

looks delicious. Missed the MW series this time, will definitely try to enter next time!

Raaga said...

I missed your event... will participate this time for sure :) make it cakes and I will post immediately :-)

Lissie said...

a unique recipe, srivalli! i always keep this pickle in my frige and have it with kanji or rice porridge whenever i am sick...i simply love it!!

Lucky said...

HI Valli,

From 3 days onwards u didn't send any receipes every thing is ok..... ok then bye

Sharmi said...

what a delicious combination in your pachadi! wish I could taste. My MIL makes great pachadi:)

Srivalli said...

Kajal, thank you. Thats fine, but pls try for the next theme

Superchef, Its almost same except it doesn't stay long. Still this is excellent

paati, thank you. Welcome to my blog

Tee, thats nice. Do try this and let me know

Sivani, thats nice to know. Thank you

Padma, yes it sure was delicious.

KayKat, For me too this was first time but sure liked it a lot

Mandira, thats fine, but I expect atleast one from you for the next one.

Raaga, ehmm...will make it next time. I want to make this a series of learning event. So that people can learn cooking in a pattern. But cakes will be lovely

Lissie, Thanks for dropping by. Thats nice of eating this

Lucky, thanks for asking, that made me feel so good. Comments from people like you is what makes this all so wonderful! Thanks for taking time in asking me.

Sharmi, thats great to know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...