Nellore Chicken

I had this interesting insight this Sunday when I planned to prepare a new variety. It was like searching for a needle in a hay! I have so many recipes collected, that it overwhelmed to know that simple ingredients can be mixed to create so many variations and varieties. I am sure the recipes that are shared by other bloggers are as varied as the ones I have with me. Blogging has become an addiction these days. There was a time I used to wonder, seeing people glued to their monitors, smiling and talking to themselves, that they must be off with some screw somewhere in their grey cells. But now I know, given a chance I would also do the same.

Another interesting fact is, my boys are so excited when they see me sit in front of my computer. I wish I can know what they are thinking, when they see the colourful pictures. Of course, its mostly food pictures that they get to see. Infact, my daughter tells me which picture she likes and which she wants me to prepare for her. With all this excitement around, I will never be able to write anything.

So finally I settled to prepare one dish that Amma used to prepare and which Dad and hubby dear used to like a lot. Had always wanted to try my hand on this, finally I was able to prepare this for our Sunday lunch. Along with Chicken kurma, I made the simple Ghee Rice and this chicken Fry which is called Nellore Chicken. Don't ask me why this is called Nellore chicken, I have no clue. Nellore is more of a town in Andhra where I am sure neither chilli sauce nor vinegar might be used for cooking. I always thought this is chistain this name, for want of better one or for a fancy. But whats in a name when the dish is so heavenly.

Only mishap was, since I never did follow the times Amma prepared this, had few doubts while preparing it. I knew I was doing something wrong here but as time was flying and also I was not able to get in touch with Amma to clarify my doubt, I just went ahead with preparing the way I thought it should be. Result, hubby dear found the chicken to be sweet and my daughter absolutely loved it. Well though I was kinda happy that atleast she liked it, I was feeling low that hubby dear didn't. He tried convincing me that 'there has to come a time when I should start thinking of satisfying the kids rather than him'. Well, there is still more time for that I think! My daughter on the other hand, got furious and said that daddy is mean because, when Ammamma makes, he says its lovely and eats everything but when Mummy makes, he is complaining. Ah, I felt very happy to hear this and of course Amma felt very happy too when I conveyed this message to her. My daughter is the apple of her eye, so anything coming from her is precious to my mother....

I decided I am going to make this again with the steps that Amma asked me to follow. But here is the version that sure should work.

This is the lunch I prepared. The ghee rice is a simple and mild one that goes well with both Veg and Non - Gravies.
Nellore Chicken

Preparation Time: 10 mins
Marinating Time : 30 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Cuisine : Andhra

Ingredients needed

Marinade

Chicken - 500 gms
Curds/Yogurt - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt to taste

Spices
Cinnamon - 2"
Cloves - 4
Cardamom - 2

For seasoning
Egg - 1
Crushed Red Chillies - 2
Curry Leaves few
Cashew Nuts - few
Chilli Sauce - 1 tsp
Tomato Sauce - 2 tsp
Vinegar - 2 tsp


Method to prepare:

Marinate Chicken with curds/yogurt, chilli pw, coriander pw, ginger garlic paste, turmeric pw and salt for 30 mins

Cook the chicken with 1/2 cup water till the water evaporates and chicken gets cooked. I pressure cooked the chicken but instead of cooking in the masala, I removed and followed with the preparations. If you want spicy chicken, cook with the masala on high flame so that masala coats the chicken.

Remove the bones and shred the chicken into pieces.

Heat a kadai with Oil. Fry the whole spices and then add crushed red chillies. Just take the chillies and crush on the top with a hard pan to get the seeds out. Fry till its dry.

Once done, add the cut chicken. Break one egg to the chicken and dry roast it. If you want the egg to have little salt, can adjust with that. Then add curry leaves and roasted cashew nuts. Fry for a while.

Finally add vinegar, tomato sauce and chilli sauce. If chilli sauce is not at hand, use extra red chillies for the spiciness.

Enjoy!

Labels: , , , , , ,