Lunch Box Series : LBS#8

For today's lunch its different than the regular sambar and Vegetables fries. I normally have one day allotted for Rice varieties, so that cooking gets done easily. So prepared Vegetable Pulao, which is almost the same way I make the biryani too. Not real difference between the two. except for few ingredients changed or added. I just term them differently to identify what I want to make. I add curd and little more spices for Veg Biryani, but this is much simpler one to make. Rice varieties that I carry to office are very popular with my colleagues. I pack my box full, plus one extra box for others. They sure like it a lot, which sure makes me very happy.

Today's Lunch Box had

Vegetable Pulao
Onion Raitha
Curd Rice.
Serves : 4
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins

Ingredients needed:

Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Butter - 2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Onions - 2 medium
Tomatoes - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Green Chilles - 4 nos
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Carrot - 1/2 cup
Beans - 1/2 cup
Peas - 1/2 cup
Potatoes - 1/2 cup
Bay Leaves - 2
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cloves - 5
Coriander Leaves - for garnishing
Coconut paste - 2 tbsp
Water - 4 cups
Salt to taste

Method to prepare:

Clean and soak Basmati rice for 15 mins in water.

Chop all the vegetables. Keep it aside.

Heat Oil and butter in a cooker.

Add all the whole spices, then add onions, Green Chillies. Sauté till they are golden in colour.

Then add ginger garlic paste. Once its cooked well, add the Vegetables. Fry for 5 mins

Then add drained rice and fry gently so that the rice is coated well in butter and at the same it does not get broken

Then add tomatoes, salt to taste, turmeric pw, water and coconut paste. Normally for cooking basmati rice we use 1-1&1/2 ratio but since we have all the vegetables to cook I added 1-2 ratio of water.

Pressure cook the rice and garnish with Coriander leaves.

Sending this to Sharmi for Jihva for Ingredients : Rice.

Hope you enjoyed my lunch box today.

I was toying with an idea of starting an event on this theme...I was thinking of express meal but mallugirl beat me on that...:)..but I want something more in terms of ideas for lunch and things oriented to lunch box. Please give me your feedback. I would like to know if others are willing to participate in this event.

I thought of something in lines of "Lingering for Lunch?" dear lakshmi suggested I always have this "What to cook today" syndrome ..infact that was the thought behind me to start this blog, wherein I thought I will have meal planner ready for any day. Dad always suggested we pin up names of the fav dishes to prepare and nothing comes to mind, check that list and prepare. Few months back, we used to sit around and plan for the entire week for all three meals plus other things. Now things have become more stable. Still I liked the idea of a planned out Menu, where I can buy Vegetables as planned and there is a rotation of vegetables also.
So please think of more ideas to revolve this event around.

Labels: ,