Friday, August 3, 2007

Lunch Box Series : LBS#7

For today's lunch, I made Sambar with Carrot and Beans. I was quite taken aback, when my friends expressed surprise on hearing that we make sambar with these two vegetables. I have always remembered Amma making this sambar, quite frequently at our place. And the fry I like with this was, Arbi or colacasia fry/roast. It is called samagadda in Telugu and chepankizhangu in Tamil. Well I don't have to extend much in telling the tale of this wonderful Vegetable and my unconditional love for Veggie. Hah the luxuries of being a spinster and getting spoiled by Mom's cooking!. I just love the dishes Amma makes from Arbi. Amma never fails to mention to my hubby dear, about my food choices. She used to feel bad that I wasn't anymore expecting such delicacies or conditions, now that I do my own cooking. But its always a wonderful memory, thinking of the time Amma used to take care in making hot Arbi fry with Sambar for me. I guess everybody miss their childhood and the tales related to it. I try to greater extent, make sure my daughter has lots to relate later. Hope I am doing the best.

Coming back to this combi, my daughter just loved it the first time I made for her, so I try to make this combi at every opportunity I get. But when we pack it, it loses its texture. Since it was just too long since I had made this, I just went ahead for having this for lunch.


Today's Lunch Box had

Carrot Beans Sambar
Arbi / Colacasia Deep fry
Plain Rice
Curd Rice.

Carrot Beans Sambar

Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins

Ingredients Needed

Toor Dal - 1 cup
Carrot & Beans- 100 gms
Sambar Onions - 100 gms
Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Tamarind pulp - small lime size
Coriander Leaves - few chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to Taste
Turmeric a pinch

For Seasoning

Mustard Seeds + Urud Dal + Fenugreek - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Garlic - 4 pods

Method to Prepare:

Clean Toor Dal and pressure cook it with 2 drops of Oil and turmeric. This makes it cook fast. Keep it for 1 whistle. Remove and let it cool down.

Chop Carrot, Beans to 2" size pieces. Pressure it with Dal for another whistle. Keep it aside

Soak tamarind and extract pulp from it.

Soak Shallot (Sambar onions) for 5 mins, this way the skin comes out easily. Chop Onions and tomatoes.

Heat oil in a pan, add the seasoning ingredients. Then add chopped onions. Sauté till they are cooked, add tomatoes, Sambar powder. Cook till the tomatoes are soft.

Then add the cooked toor dal with Vegetables, tamarind pulp. The dal should be well cooked. We usually mash with pappu guthi, which a long wooden stick like ladle.

Cook on high flame for 5 mins, then simmer for 10 mins till its cooked well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Samagadda / Arbi / Colacasia Deep fry

Ingredients Needed:

Arbi - 250 gms
Gram (Besan) flour - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil for frying

Method to prepare:

Clean and boil Samagadda for 1 whistle. It should be done but can check and cook again.

Remove the skin and cut it into 1" pieces.

Add besan, chilli pw and salt to Arbi. Mix well so that all the pieces are coated with Besan. Its normally not required to add water as it might become too sticky. But based on the texture can sprinkle little water.

Heat oil in a kadai. Once its hot, deep fry arbi and remove to a kitchen towel to drain excess oil.

Very simple, but getting the correct amount of besan to stick to the Arbi is important. This normally tastes heaven when had hot. But we still went ahead with our choice and enjoyed to the last bit.
Hope you enjoyed my lunch box today. Expecting your feedback. I would love to hear from all my readers, their opinion on my recipes. I really appreciate their time to take in visiting my blog. I know all need not really feel like leaving a comment, still it makes me feel good when I read a comment left.

Thanks for visiting.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


23 comments :

lathanarasimhan said...

i Srivalli,

Visiting your blog for the first time. You know some thing, I too use whatever veg is available for sambhar. While staying in places in Hubli, Bidar, I had to.

So many new recipes in this blogosphere! Do you take part in the virtual events organised by Food bloggers?

Visit you leisurely.bye for now.latha

SeeC said...

Thats great combo. I use atleast 4 vegetables in sambhar.
Healthy food isnt it.

Liked your fry.

Coffee said...

OH! I have eaten carrots in sambhar, but beans is new to me!! Thanks for the tip. :)

Srivalli said...

Welcome to my blog latha...yeah I try to participate in the virtual events. Its actually fun. Do try it when you have time. Thanks for visiting and do come again.

Laavanya said...

I love Arbi fry - my mom just fries them in oil first and then seasons with some salt and chilli powder! :) Your version looks great too.

Sharmi said...

I have always loved your lunch box series. it looks so simple and filling. what a simple and lovely presentation.

Asha said...

I always make Sanbhar with beans,carrots,potatoes,tomatoes or anything else I can find.I added Bottle gourd peels yesterday!:)
Looks great,yummy selection for lunch.

Jyothi said...

Hi Srivalli! yummy lunch box. sambar looks yum...

anusharaji said...

ur lunch box series is sure delicious
srivalli.
i feel more than hungry when i watch the pics :)

Jeena said...

Hi there, I like your blog! Nice recipe it looks yummy :) Feel free to visit my blog too :)


Click here for jeenas food recipe blog :-)

bhags said...

hey, never tried anything with arbi...will try soon.
And as with my camera, i use Canon Cybershot S2 IS, 5.0 mpx
Hope this helps and thanks for the recipe

Suma Gandlur said...

I bet that would be delicious.I use what ever vegetable I can find in sambhar. This one is regular at my house.

archana said...

Since last 2 days I am having problem commenting on blogger. I get a blank page after submitting. I don't know why :(
Your menu is nice :)I too add carrot and beans to sambhar becoz invariably there is no drumstick available here.
The arbi is too good must be tasting yum something like bhajji :)
I hope this comment reaches you.

Raaga said...

We use carrot and beans in sambar all the time. I know that some people have told me, "you can't use those" but my sambar doesn't mind.

I love arbi fry... and I'll soon post something that you'll love.

Vcuisine said...

Srivalli looks inviting for lunch once. Very nice combo. Viji

sunita said...

Nice lunchbox..great presentation.

Mamatha said...

Hi srivalli,
Your luch box looks yummy,
Even my mom used to prepare sambhar with combination of veggies, but my favourite is always beans-carrot sambhar,

bee said...

love the arvi fry. not so hot about sambar.

Padma said...

Did I mention you b4 that I always look fwd for your lunch-box series always, this is a cool meal for the day, no wonder ur frens were zappped
thanks for sharing, dear!

kavi said...

Hi,
I love having Arbi fry but i only know the simple method (boil Arbi, deep fry them and then add chilly powder and salt). I liked ur receipe and is different. So, i will surely try this out.

kavi said...

Hi,

Arbi fry, that's yummy. I also make Arbi fry but it is very simple recipe (boil Arbi, deep fry them and add chilly powder and salt) but ur recipe sounds different. Thanks and I will surely try this out.

kavi said...

I like Arbi fry alot. But ur recipe is different and simple. I will surely try this out

Srivalli said...

Thats good to know SeeC..even my Mom uses 4 varieties..

Welcome ...Coffee

Laavanya..yeah we also prepare it when we dont' have time to do this way

So glad to know that you like my LBS ..Sharmi..thanks for your appriciation

hahha...thats a great one Asha...

Thanks Jyothi

thanks raji...glad you like them..

Thanks for dropping by Jeena...you have a nice blog too...

then do try this out....bhags..thanks for the info on camera..you sure have a great one...

thanks Suma...am sure your family likes that a lot...

sure it reached me archana...good you did this time...yes it tastes something like that but more crisper if had hot..

hhah..good that your sambar doesn't mind Raaga

Thanks Viji

Thanks sunita..

Then you will be most welcome at my mon's place...Mamatha

hhaah...but nice that you like the arbi..bee

No Padma...but so glad that you did now...I am happy knowing it...

Welcome to my blog kavi...thankd for the nice comments....do visit again..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...