Aloo Pulao | Potato Pulao | Potato Rice ~ Lunch Box Series : LBS # 10

Today's is an item from my past! Of course, I should say everything is one, but this is different in a way that, it brings out memories shared with a colleague. I first tasted Aloo Pulao / Potato Pulao when this colleague got it for her lunch box. She was a fresher and was reluctant to ask if I would want to taste her food. I said I would very happy and asked what it is called. Lo, she said it was called Potato Pulao! I don't consume potato if it's not French Fries or Chips! Infact I have never eaten Potato Stir Fries or Poriyal varieties. So I was little hesitant to say no, but didn't want to hurt her, so took a bite. Wow, it tasted yummy! I can still feel that first experience even now. I didn't ask her the recipe then.

Went home and asked Amma if she was aware of a recipe called Potato Pulao. Amma is known for her culinary expertise but it was wonder she didn't know this rice variety. She said no and asked me why. I recollected the afternoon experience with her. I was told to get the recipe if I had like it so much. So the next day in office, was spent in trying to find out the recipe. 

And conveying back the recipe to Amma was quite difficult. Because my co-worker was a novice and wasn't aware half the stuff used in that dish and even the few she knew she was not able to convey correctly. But I must confess I really don't remember if this is the way I was told. And also because I have prepared this so many times and as it happens, it has taken a stamp of my cooking. I am no longer in touch with my ex-colleague, who is now married, am sure she must've learnt to cook now. I must thank her for introducing this lovely dish to me.

Today's Lunch Box had

Potato Pulao
Tomato Curry with Eggs
Onion Raitha
Curd Rice
Potato Pulao:

Ingredients Needed

Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Potatoes - 150 gms
Onions - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Mint/ Pudina Leaves - 1 cup
Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup
Green Chillies - 4
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Water - 3& 1/2 cups

Spices:

Bay Leaf - 1
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 2"
Cardamom - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp

Method to prepare:

Clean and soak Basmati rice in water for 15 mins.

Chop Onions into julienne. Wash and clean both Mint and Coriander Leaves. Slit green chillies in middle.

Peel the potato skin and cut into 2 " cubes. Soak in water till its put to cook, otherwise it changes colour.

Heat Ghee and oil in a cooker. Add all the spices, sauté well. Then add onions & green chillies, sauté till they are light brown in colour.

Then add ginger garlic paste. Fry for a while. Then drain water from the potatoes and add them to the masala. Simmer and cover with lid and let it get soften for 2 mins.

Next add Mint and coriander leaves, sauté for 2 seconds. then add coconut Milk and cook on high flame.

Finally add the drained basmati rice and fry slowly so that all the grains are coated with oil. Add salt and water.

Cover with cooker lid and put it on for 2 whistles.

This I served with Tomato curry with Eggs and Onion Raitha. Hubby dear didn't take the picture of all the dishes since he was in a hurry to leave!

Hope you enjoyed my lunch box, looking forward to your feedback.

I cant resist sending this to Sharmi for her JFI: Rice Event

Note: Kindly remember to send in your entries for the Microwave Easy cooking Event. This month's theme was Sweets. Click on the Logo on the right for more details. I will be posting the round up on 5th September.

Looking forward for delicious sweets to start this Event!

Labels: , ,