Bendakaya Bajji ~ Okra Bajji

Don't mistake this for a snack....I did the first time I heard this name from hubby dear. He is fond of Ragi Sangati with Bendakaya Bajji. I have known to have tasted Sangati with Groundnut/Peanut Chutney or Endimirapakaya Pappu, but a dish made from Bendakaya was strange to me. Now don't ask me why its called Bajji. My in-laws are from strange land. They address lean person as small person and other way round (sshh..hope hubby dear doesn't get to read this post..)

Well as every mom-in-law tries to impress the son-in-law, my mom did too. She must've tried out everything on earth she knows, plus she made it a point to know from my mil what my hubby dear is fond of. She was in for a surprise, she came to know that he is fond of Ragi Sangati with Bendakaya Bajji. We wondered how on earth does a bajji goes with a Sangati. Only then we were introduced to this dish which we feel is so simple that it can't be really so tasty. But then people have their fancies. When biryanis failed to please His Majesty, this simple bajji did. It has to be seen to believe hubby dear's expression, when I first presented him with a plate of Sangati with Bajji. Small price to be paid for such happiness.

Here goes my Athamma's recipe for Bandakaya Bajji. Will update the photo soon..

Preparation time : 10 min
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Cuisine : Andhra

Ingredients Needed

Bendakaya - 250 gms
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 1 small
Garlic - 4 pods
Red Chillies - 5
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves few
Photo updated on Oct 2nd 2007

Method to prepare:

Cut Bendakaya to 1' pieces. Chop onions and tomatoes.

In a pan, heat oil, add all the ingredients, fry for 2 mins.

Then add water and let it boil. It will get cooked in 10 mins time.

Remove and mash well so that Bendakaya gets mixed well with other ingredients.

The gravy will be sticky and smooth and will go well with Ragi Sangati.

Labels: , , ,