Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tomato Chutney

My Athamma is famous for her Chutneys. Whenever she used to visit us, I used to ensure she prepares all her series of Chutneys for a feast. This one is the most simplest one, yet so tasty and easy to prepare. She calls it Adarabadara Chutney, which means coarsely ground one. All the ingredients are only partial ground which adds flavor when we chew on it.

We make this for hot Dosas

Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 10 mins
Cuisine : Andhra

Ingredients needed

Tomatoes - 2 medium
Onion- 1
Garlic - 4 pods
Curry leaves - 5
Coriander leaves - 4 springs
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Method to prepare

Chop onion and tomato. Heat oil in a tawa and fry chopped onion, then curry leaves. Once its little brown, then add tomatoes. Fry for a while, then add salt and chilli powder. Remove

Once it is cool, run it for one or two rounds in mixie with garlic pods and coriander leaves.

The chutney should not become smooth.

This tastes fantastic with Dosa.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


14 comments :

Asha said...

I make tha same way and I do have loads of Tomatoes at home,thanks for the idea!:))
Thanks to Athamma too,she sounds sweet:))

Vcuisine said...

The most wanted chutney in south Srivalli. Nice. Viji

archana said...

I make this too. It is very tasty and no hassle of grating coconut here :)Thanx for sharing :)

Saju said...

This I must try, thank you for sharing

bhags said...

We also make this with dosas, actually I stared making it with dosas only after I saw my MIL doing it and guessed that my husband would like it

SeeC said...

Spicy n hot chutney...lip-smacking.

Padma said...

Hey Nice chutney, MIL's always a good reference for having traditional and authentic recipes. I do make this chutney at home. Thanks for sharing

nz said...

mmmmm...my mouth started watering as I read the recipe !

Roopa said...

yum tomato chutney my favorite! looks delicious ...

Srivalli said...

Welcome and thanks..Asha..yes my Athamma is one sweet lady...she is just like my Amma...so I feel quite fortunate on that aspect...I also ensure she doesn't miss her daughters...

Thanks Viji

Agree with you archana

Please do try and let me know Saju

hahha...I think you did a good guess there...bhags..husbands always like their mom's cooking....

it is SeeC

Welcome Padma, yes my Athamma has her list of authentic recipes...

thanks abha..for taking time to drop a line...

Thanks Roopa

Jyothsna said...

Thanks for the recipe!!

Varsha said...

i am drooling all over ur blog..seriously..al r so wonderful recipies..tomato chutney s my express dish..bt i prep it difrently..bit spicy..n wouts using a mixi..bt tis sounds great..definitely gona try..:)

Srivalli said...

Varsha, thanks for dropping by..its my pleasure..do try and let me know

Aditi..............:) said...

I love tomatoes.......i will surely try this chutney!!!!!!!!looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...