Saturday, July 14, 2007

Making Ghee from Butter

Making ghee from Butter at home is a simple process if you know how to get it done. Amma normally gets it done for me. Today I prepared it. Clarified Butter or Ghee is made from Butter by heating or cooking the butter.

Heat a kadai and once its dry put the butter on high flame. Once it starts melting, stir it.

It will start bubbling like this. Add rock salt to the bubbling butter. This is get the dirt or other particles if they are present.
Then foams will start coming out. This is when you know your ghee is ready.
Switch of the flame, and add few fenugreek seeds to the cooling ghee. This gives good aroma and also gives a good taste to the ghee.
Once its cool, transfer to a container.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


12 comments :

Komal said...

My mom use to make ghee from butter all the time and it take me back to that smell.. The whole house fills up with this awful smell but end result is definetley better than any store bought ghee :)

archana said...

http://luv2eathate2cook.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/aloo-anardana-kulcha/
you have been tagged by me :)
I liked the small tips of adding rock salt and methi. Must try that.

Asha said...

I make it at home too.I love the aroma wafts thru' the house!:))

Prajusha said...

sri,
thanks for sharing the recipe fo making ghee.

Cynthia said...

Thank you! I've bookmarked this.

Srivalli said...

hhaha...in fact it was quite opposite to me Komal..I used to love the smell that comes out of cooking butter....I was recollecting that when I made ghee myself this time..

Thanks for tagging me archana...will try to come out with something ...

Great to know you share my liking Asha

Welcome Prajusha

Thanks Cynthia...homemade tastes better than store one..

Argus Lou said...

Thanks for showing me how to make ghee. I've always wondered about it as I can't get ghee in Switzerland so far. (I'm originally from Malaysia.)

Srivalli said...

Welcome to my blog Argus..glad you found this helpful...do visit again...

Raaga said...

I use a betel leaf to give a special aroma. Great blog!

Srivalli said...

Amma also at times uses this...thanks for dropping in Raaga..

VegeYum said...

Hey thanks for such a good description of how to make ghee. I am also adding a recipe and will link to your site.

Andrew said...

I use ghee a lot in Indian cooking as I think it gives a great flavour. I make my own at home too but I've never done it this way before. I end up removing the solids with a spoon and straining it through a muslin cloth a few times.

A few weeks ago I was cooking something with ghee and one of the people in the kitchen just gave me an odd look and said "that looks healthy." I believe butter is a lot healthier for you than margarine - look at the list of ingredients in margarine and compare it to butter. Margarine is apparently one step away from being plastic, but people don't think twice about smearing four pieces of toast with it most mornings... I cook with ghee about once a week so I don't see the harm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...