Saturday, June 30, 2007

X - Chicken Fry

Today I am going to write on two of my Dad's favorite dishes. One dish with chicken and the other one is an Andhra Specialty made from Butternut squash or red pumpkin as we call it. This dish is mainly done during festival season and mostly liked and eaten in Andhra. I have not seen anybody in Tamil Nadu preparing this dish. Infact my inlaw don't make it.

Coming back to the Chicken dish, its a dry roast that Amma started preparing some 10+ years before. She saw the recipe from some place and just changed to her taste. Its Dad's most favorite one and when he asked her what its called, she said she didn't remember the recipe name. So Dad refers this as X Chicken fry. Whenever we want to get the homemade comfort food, this is the one Amma prepares - the X Chicken fry.

Here you go for this wonderful dish.

Preparation time : 15 mins (marinate for 10 min)
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Cuisine : Andhra

Ingredients needed:

For marinating

Chicken - 1/2 kg
Chilli pw - 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut paste - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch

For frying
Oil - 2 tbsp
Onion - 2
Green chilli - 3

For dry masala

Dhania - 1 tsp
Clove 2
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Fennel - 1/2 tsp
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp

Coriander Leaves for garnishing

Clean and cut chicken pieces to required size. Mix Chilli pw, Ginger Garlic paste, Salt, Coconut paste and
Turmeric powder to the Chicken pieces and marinate for 10 mins

Dry roast the items for dry masala. and grind to fine powder once its cool.

Chop Onions. Heat oil in a Kadai. Fry onions till golden brown in colour. Add Green chillies and fry for a while.

Then add marinated chicken and cook on high flame for 5 mins. Once the water comes out of chicken, simmer it for 20 mins under cover. Check in between to ensure its not burnt.

Chicken gets cooked by 20 mins, then removed the cover and add the dry masala powder. and again cook for 10 mins.

In the end garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
This is what I made for dinner
Rotis
Kodi kura (Chicken Gravy)
X-Chicken Fry

This Chicken gravy is different from the one I posted already. Hope you enjoy as I did making these.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


5 comments :

vkn said...

Loved the color and crispy feel. Must be delicious... drooling here :-) Going to try this tonight.

vkn

Jyothi said...

Hi Sri! surely this is a wonderful dry item. Looks yummy. Will try it soon. Thanks for shaing.

Srivalli said...

Thanks VKN...sure is delicious...do try and let me know

Thanks jyothi...let me know once you prepare

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!I made Chicken Fry yesterday it came out nice,my husband liked it very much.I am new to non veg cooking because i am a vegetarian.I am from US.Thanks for the recipe.....aki

Srivalli said...

aki, thanks for trying out and letting me know, welcome to my blog,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...