Saturday, June 2, 2007

Batatyacha Rassa - Potato Gravy

This is going to be my first entry for RCI: Maharashtrian Cuisine

Here is the recipe for Batatyacha Rassa

Serves 4
Preparation time - 10 mins
Cooking time - 10 mins

Ingredients

For Rassa
Potatoes - 4 medium
Tomatoes - 2
Green chilies - 4
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Water - as required

For Seasoning
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafetida - a pinch
salt to taste.
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves

Method to prepare

Wash and boil the potatoes in a cooker. Peal off the skin.

Chop the tomatoes to fine pieces. Slit the green chilies in the middle. Keep aside. Finely chop the coriander leaves.

Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida and turmeric powder. Once it starts spluttering, add chopped tomatoes. Sim for 5 mins.

Add mashed potatoes and required quantity of water. Mix it well and bring it to a boil.

Since I didn't have Black maharashtrian masala, I added the regular garam masala that I had, then salt and half of the coriander leaves.

The dish is ready within 5 mins.

Garnish with the remaining coriander leaves.



I served this with hot puris and it was really good. My daughter and athamma wanted this to be included in our regulars. This is a variation for us, as we never make potato gravy without onions.

Thanks to Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine for starting such a great event and Nupur for hosting this month's event.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


5 comments :

archana said...

Thanks for visiting my blog :)
This recipe of potato gravy is one of my favorites, especially when I am in a hurry. Good entry for Maharashtrian cuisine.
Do visit again :)

Nupur said...

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic participation! The batata rassa looks delicious, and I am thrilled that your family enjoyed it.

Asha said...

Easy and delicious!:)

Srivalli said...

Archana the pleasure was mine. You have a nice site.

Hello Nupur hope the recipe I have tried out is how its made traditionally.

Very true Asha

Aruna said...

Srivalli, Thx for ur nice comments on my blog. The potato gravy looks very delicious :-) Thx

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...